I’ve been listening to this non-stop lately ever since I watched the Oscars.
After traveling to Cedar Key to collect underwater sounds for my latest project, I re-discovered that mixing audio is very difficult. I was able to salvage some of the sounds off the dock which precariously held my laptop but overall I had to do a lot of mixing with found sounds and the like.
I decided to change the aspect ratio of the video since I wanted it to create a panoramic feel and have the viewer truly not feel where the horizon begins and ends. With this idea in mind, the video is quite a bit longer than what I usually produce so the viewer feels the absence and gets immersed within the image.
It’s been a really chaotic week with bursts of fun and minor panics, but I’m almost finished with Fall semester and it feels wonderful.
In this I have finished three projects and re-wrote a short story for my creative writing class. I feel actually very productive and am waiting for that moment where it’ll hit me that I am done. Soon I hope.
The first project I completed was a second iteration of my previous project involving arduino and such. For this version we decided to put our false breasts into a body pillow and create a space that implied comfort. Inside the body pillow was a light that would pulse as well as a stepper motor that we programmed to sound and feel like a heartbeat. We had people lay on the pillow within a space and the response we received was mainly that it was comforting in a strange way. Here are some pictures of the piece in the space. It looked oddly like a funerary piece but we liked that in a way.
The second project is still speaking of my last post and my final video project. I finished editing the piece last night. It turned out beautiful I’m hoping for a good critique. Here is the video below. Enjoy!
My final project is for scene design. The final play we went through was Next to Normal. It is actually a really amazing musical and I really enjoyed listening to it (you can on YouTube.) I decided to make my set about facades and barriers and so I created these screens that can be projected on as well as platforms that the characters can walk on and stand based on the placement within the play itself. Here are two photos of the model. One is before I added the screens and one is after.
I was actually really happy with the results. I am also happy that the semester is coming to a close. It’s been quite a roller coaster but I think I’ve made some great art.
Here’s a song I love and a video with it that incorporates my favorite things: water and black & white film.
This video really inspired me to push my film further and realize that maybe I don’t have to work in graphic design because I’m pretty decent at film editing, colouring, and such. I highly suggest the film “Frances Ha,” it is a great coming of age piece that really captures a lot of different emotions, with some excellent angled shots. Very much in the category of Beginners.
Yesterday I shot for my next project. I love the process of shooting and setting up lighting for the scene. Probably should do that in my life but for now I’ll make cool art pieces.
I am slightly obsessed with Hamlet’s Ophelia. The iconic painting of her floating in the water is haunting in a beautiful way. She is also fabricated by the patriarchy that she is surrounded by. Her actions watched, and looked upon by this society. I wanted to play off this idea by use of advertisements. Many magazines are just ads for the viewer to look at and feel desire. No matter what the product, it is often over sexualized and a body image that is impossible to reach. Mainly because it is PhotoShopped. I know this because I have PhotoShopped my face and I don’t even look recognizable; and I just changed the size of my lips and erased my skin.
Thus, I wanted to have this “Ophelia” fabricated by our society. I created a pool of water with magazine pages ripped out and made this interesting environment. I still have to edit the footage and of course add sound via Shakespeare but I thought I would share my production.
We used the RED Epic. We are actually in the process of getting a RED Dragon which is super exciting since I will be using the same camera that Gone Girl was shot on. But anyways. I’ll be putting the footage into RED CineX to color the RAW footage then into Final Cut Pro X (even though I’m not a huge fan of it) and working from there with editing my sound an such.
Here’s a still from the shoot.